What is the Super Bowl?
The Super Bowl is The National Football League championship game, played annually between the champions of the National and the American Football Conferences.
Tell me a bit about the trophy
The winner of the Super Bowl receives The Vince Lombardi Trophy. The trophy was born on a cocktail napkin. The NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle in 1967 was having lunch with Oscar Riedner of the jewellery company called “Tiffany & Co”. Oscar made a sketch on a cocktail napkin of what would become the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The trophy was first awarded to the Green Bay Packers in 1967 after they defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10.
Vincent Thomas Lombardi (1913 – 1970) was an American football coach that never had a losing season. Lombardi was named NFL Man of the Decade in the 1960s, and won five NFL championships, including winning the first two Super Bowls. The yearly trophy given to the Super Bowl champion was renamed the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 1971, the same year Lombardi was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was head coach of the Green Bay Packers and the Washington Redskins.
American football explained
The very basic explanation of American football, known as football in the United States is that it is a team sport played between two teams of 11 players on each side. The game is played with an oval ball on a field 120 yards (109.73 meters) long and 53.3 yards (48.74 meters) wide. It has 2 goalposts at either end. The team in possession of the ball (the offense) attempts to advance down the field by running with or passing the ball. In order to continue their advance, the offense must move the ball at least 10 yards (9.14 meters) down the field in not more than four attempts called “downs”. If they succeed, they receive a new set of four downs and so on… The offense can score points by getting the ball into the end zone – that’s known as a TOUCHDOWN! (6 points) They can also score 3 points by place kicking the ball through the opponent’s goalpost, known as a field goal. If the offense has failed to advance 10 yards after three tries, the team usually punts the ball on the fourth down (a punt is a kick to the opponent without the use of a tee). The other team then begins with its own set of four downs, travelling in the opposite direction. Like in most sports, the team that has scored the most points by the end of the game wins. Yay!
Some fun facts about the game and the Super Bowl
- American football evolved from early forms of rugby and association football, with the first game played on November 6, 1869.
- Roman numerals are used in the Super Bowl, because the football season falls in two calendar years.
- Super Bowl I was played on January 15, 1967.
- Tickets for Super Bowl I were $12, tickets for Super Bowl XLVIII are $1,500.
- The Super Bowl is the most-watched television program in American TV history. The Game is watched by an estimated 100 to 112 million viewers. Last year the Super Bowl was watched by 165 million people – the most watched program in TV history.
- Over 700,000 footballs are produced every year for use during the NFL season, 72 of those balls are used for the Super Bowl.
- The price of a 30-second commercial during the first Super Bowl in 1967 was $40,000. $4,000,000 is the price of a 30-second commercial during this year’s game, which works out to $133,333.33 per second!
- Super Bowl XLVIII will be broadcast in 232 countries and territories, and in 34 languages.
If you have a choice between watching some game on TV or playing the game itself, the wise choice will always be to play. The NFL has a great program for kids called “Play 60” a national youth health and fitness campaign focused on increasing the wellness of young fans by encouraging them to be active for at least 60 minutes a day. Visit them here: